Monday, May 13, 2013

Share and Don't Share - D-Blog Week #1

This week is Diabetes Blog Week! I thought to myself, well this is the perfect time to start my very own Diabetes Blog! D-Blog Week is such a cool event where diabetes bloggers post about a set topic every day of this special week. We get to connect with others who deal with the same disease and get a chance to see that we're not alone out there in this, and we all need to stick together! I, unfortunately, missed the first day!
But, I only missed it by a little bit, so I'll add a few things about the first topic which was Share and Don't Share "Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see?"(Thanks to Melissa Lee of Sweetly Voiced for this topic suggestion.) -Bittersweet Diabetes

I am twenty years old and when I called my endo to set up my next appointment the receptionist informed me that they had only just realized that, up until this point, I had still been seeing my pediatric endocrinologist. I thought "It took you this long to figure it out, and you're just now throwing me to a new doctor to explain my whole life to?!" So, semi-reluctantly, we set up an appointment with a new one that works with adults. Let me tell you, I am not exactly thrilled to have to go through the ropes of changing doctors, but it's probably for the best.
So what I plan on telling my new endo at my appointment next week is:
1) Yes, I am 20 years old. Yes, I have had diabetes for 12 of those years. And Yes, I am still figuring this whole thing out. Day by day. It's hard, have some faith in me.
2) I take Lantus twice a day. It doesn't last the full 24 hours for me. I know it's a lot of insulin. Don't argue with me on this one, I already went through this with the last endo I had. I also understand that you went to med school, and I didn't. But I really don't think my pancreas will agree if you try to change this.
3) I really am trying to make a change in my diabetes care, I know it doesn't seem like it when you look at my A1c, but you're here to help with that... right?
4) Yes, I do have something on my person at all times that says that I am diabetic. I wear my disease on my sleeve, LITERALLY. I've had my MedicAlert tattoo since I was 16. It hurt. It was worth it. Don't judge me.
5) I really want to make a difference in the lives of other diabetics. I've started my own business (Artemis Hand Forged Jewelry) where I make leather and copper jewelry and just started my Diabetic Cuff line. It'd be awesome if you told your other patients about it!
6) Agree with all of the above, and we should get along just splendidly! :)

What I would prefer my endo not see... That's a whole other story.
1) When I neglect/forget to check my sugar or take insulin. Oops.
2) The multiple notebooks that I started logging absolutely everything in for a few days, then lost it and started a new one, and another new one after that, and another new one after that.... You get the picture.
3) When I get bitchy at my family because my sugar is high.

Overall I'm just hoping that my new endo and I get along well, because switching the person who ultimately writes your prescriptions is pretty damn scary. My main goal is to get this thing under control, and I hope this person can help me with that to the best of their ability... That's all any of us really want from our endos, am I right?

Never Surrender,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment